Born: May 7, 1929 (Toronto, Ontario)
Died: December 31, 1977 (Toronto, Ontario)
Education: Western Technical Commercial School (Commercial art stream, 1943-1945) in Toronto. He also studied typography in England (1953-1955).
Awards/Memberships: Allan Fleming won numerous awards throughout his career. He was a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts and the Alliance Graphique Internationale, Fellow of the Ontario College of Art, and the first Fellow of the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada
Allan Flemming is best known for designing one of Canada’s most enduring logos, the CN logo, which won numerous awards.
I think this symbol will last for 50 years at least. I don’t think it will need any revision, simply because it is designed with the future in mind. Its very simplicity guarantees its durability.Allan Robb Fleming
More in-depth information about Allan Fleming and his work:
- Allan Fleming: The man who branded a nation (Eye Magazine, Spring 2011)
- The CN Brand (cn.ca)
- Allan Fleming (Wikipedia)
- Allan Robb Fleming Collection – York University
- CN Logo Designed by Allan Fleming & CN Visual Identity Guidelines & History (The Logo Smith & Graham Smith)
- Allan Fleming: Tracing the Evolution of the CN Logo: 50th Anniversary 1960 – 2010 (designKULTUR)