Microcopy is the small bits of text that appear throughout a website or app. It often goes unnoticed but plays a crucial role in user experience.
On this page
Why is microcopy important?
Microcopy plays a significant role in the user experience. It can influence user behaviour and decision making.
With clear and concise microcopy, you can:
- help users navigate through the website, understand the purpose of each feature, and feel confident about their actions.
Microcopy improves user engagement, increases conversions, and ultimately creates a more enjoyable user experience.
Tips for writing effective microcopy
- Be concise and clear, no unnecessary words
- Be engaging and persuasive, appeal to user’s emotions
- Use active language
- make sure the tone aligns with brand voice
- A/B test
Resources to get you started
- 4 ways to introduce guiding microcopy in forms (Kinneret Yfrah/Medium)
- Best microcopy examples and some great insights (Shiran Hirshberg/Medium)
- Good Microcopy by @ricarhdsison – A collection of good microcopy examples from various websites, apps or products.
- The Beginner’s Guide to Microcopy – Four tips for writing great microcopy and how it can help your bottom line (Kinneret Yifrah/Medium)
*She also wrote the book Microcopy: The Complete Guide.
- What is Microcopy and 8 Examples to Tell You Why You Need It (Userguiding.com) This article explains the importance, the impact and how to create effective microcopy.
- Why Small Words Matter: The Importance of Microcopy UX (toptal.com)
- Writing killer micro copy with Andrea Zoellner from SiteGround (by @SellYourService on YouTube)
You might also be interested in
- 15 Best Technical Writing Podcasts (Feedspot)
- Readability Test. This test is a speedy, simple method to assess your writing’s readability.
- Writing Principles in Design (valuable writing tips from Google)
Microcopy may seem insignificant, but it plays a significant role in the overall user experience. So next time you’re working on a website or app, remember to pay attention to the details and craft effective microcopy.